What is a Professional Genealogist?
A professional genealogist is an individual skilled in various aspects of family history research who provides fee-based services to help others in the pursuit of their research project. While services and areas of particular expertise will vary, most true professionals agree to abide by a code of ethics to help maintain the highest possible quality standards in their work. Although not required, most professionals are active in one or more professional associations.
Types of Genealogy Research:
· Geographic research
· Ethnic research
· Overseas research
· Research in specific time periods
· Lineage society applications
· Specific type of records (e.g. - Land, Military, Immigration, etc.)
· Complete family genealogies
Types of Consulting:
· Planning research strategies
· Evaluating evidence
· Producing a family history for publication
· Developing a family web site
· Organizing documents and photos
· Planning a family reunion
· Developing specialized keepsakes
Association of Professional Genealogists - Code of Ethics:
Each member of the Association of Professional Genealogists agrees to the following:
· Promote a coherent, truthful approach to genealogy, family history and local history;
· Present research results and opinions in a clear, well-organized manner,
with accurately-cited references;
· Advertise services and credentials honestly;
· Explain without concealment or misrepresentation all fees, charges, and payment structures;
· Abide by agreements regarding project scope, number of hours,
and deadlines or reporting schedules;
· Refrain from knowingly violating or encouraging others to violate laws or
regulations concerning copyright and right to privacy;
· Give proper credit to those who supply information and provide assistance.
If you think the services of an experienced professional can help,
we encourage you to visit the APG Web site for more information.
Disclaimer Notice: The Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island Foundation is sharing information about this site as a service to our Web site visitors, but makes no representations or warranties about the services offered through this third-party Web site and cannot be held responsible for problems that may arise from your use.